Alternative to the X-mount 18-55 kit lens

Started Nov 9, 2014 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Michael Berg
Michael Berg Contributing Member • Posts: 864
Alternative to the X-mount 18-55 kit lens

Hi all,

Long time Minolta/Sony user here (KM 5D -> Sony Alpha 580) who recently lost all his gear to burglers while away on vacation I got a bit of cash from my insurance company and have been wondering what to do with it.

The simple choice would be to go back to Sony - familiar hardware, familiar lens lineup, familiar accessories etc. But the recent SLR's from Sony just seem heavy and clumsy (have you seen the A99? I would be embarrassed to show up to a family event with that thing). Also, during the last few months of owning my A580, I began to shoot more and more with manual focus and manual controls because I felt the resulting image was more a product of my own skills rather than an automated system making choices for me. Back-to-the-roots kind of thing I guess.

So I began looking around for alternatives. Soon enough I came across the new Fujifilm X-T1 and immediately fell in love with the manual controls and the manual focus capabilities. This camera feels just right for me.

Okay here's the problem. The price is higher than my budget by quite a margin, and so I will be able to buy the body, but not the kit lens. Not right away. I know the kit lens is very good but the money just isn't there.

But this is a mirrorless camera and this means that with a cheap adapter, I can use almost any lens with the camera. But which one?

Can anyone here recommend an adapter+lens combo that will make do as a kit lens but much, much cheaper? Just to tide me over until I will be able to buy native X-mount lenses.

-- hide signature --
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow