A lens to become attached to!

Started Nov 2, 2014 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,354
A lens to become attached to!

I had the classic AF-S 70-300 VR for a long time, using it with my Nikon V1 (which turns it to a 200-800mm lens, in 35mm terms), and my D600, and used it for a while on a D3200.

I loved that lens, and I thought that this was the best there was, but then the Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300CX, arrived, sweeping my love off the table! The new lens, which is owned by my wife, is a stunner, so naturally I ordered one for myself, and sold the dear old 70-300 VR. And waited, and waited, for months.

And I longed after something like the new 70-300CX, or just something similar.

That's when a friend told me about his newest purchase, a Tamron SP 70-300/4-5.6 Di VC USD, and showed me, and all the others at the Nikon 1 Forum, what a good lens it could be, on a CX camera.

Well, I had sold the old 70-300, and got the Tamron for about the same cost, a good trade-in indeed.

So what are the pros?

1. It is cheap, less than a third of the price of the 70-300CX!

2. It has excellent anti-shake, better than the old 70-300 VR, and it might beat the 70-300CX as well.

3. It is well balanced, fairly light, fairly rugged, and simple to operate.

4, Its IQ is surprisingly good, much better than I had hoped for.

5. It is superbly fast focusing, when used on my D600.

Then comes the cons:

1. Doesn't always finds focus in low light, when used on a CX camera.

2. Bigger, and heavier, than the 70-300CX, if not by that much (but don't forget the adapter's weight).

3. Needs an adapter to be used on the CX cameras, but so does the AF-S 70-300 VR.

4. In low light / low contrast it CAN find focus, if you repeatedly tap the shutter button lightly (till you see the green marking), but then, when you press fully to take your image, it moves out of focus before firing!!! GRR!

5, Not nearly as glamorous as the 70-300CX, and look a bit plastic (which it is!).

-- hide signature --

Tord_2 (at) photographer (dot) net
Mostly Nikon V1, V2, & D600, user

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +23 more
Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD
Telephoto zoom lens • Canon EF, Nikon F (FX), Sony/Minolta Alpha • A005
Announced: Aug 10, 2010
Tord S Eriksson's score
Average community score
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D3200 Nikon D600 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow