How I got UHD (~4k) working on a MAC Mini

Started Mar 2, 2014 | Discussions thread
probert500 Senior Member • Posts: 1,386
Re: How I got UHD (~4k) working on a MAC Mini

afterburn wrote:

lumigraphics wrote:

bronxbombers4 wrote:

lumigraphics wrote:

So you are complaining that it is difficult to hack the OS to do something that Apple specifically says is not supported. Well, yeah, and? If you fry your logic board, are you going to expect a warranty repair?

Mostly I was just trying to be helpful and tell people how to do it and save them time trying to track it all down themselves! It works. UHD displays are amazing. Once you get the retina mode working the MAC drives it very well.

It's NOT going to fry the logic board. Even if it did, and it won't, well I'd need to get a new MAC to display UHD anyway if it didn't work on this one.

You very well could fry the logic board, running components above rated design. This is kind of reckless advice and I would recommend that mini owners NOT try this. Just a note from a long time Mac tech and former Apple employee.

Apple has a habit of setting artificial and arbitrary limits on their stuff. My 2012 rMBP cannot drive a UHD display properly, because it does not have Thunderbolt2. At the same time, it has no problem driving 3 27" Thunderbolt Displays at full resolution plus the internal display. It can clearly push enough pixels and should not have any issues with UHD. Yet, it is not allowed by Apple.

Not saying the Mac mini can do the same, but limits should be dictated by the hardware, not by a choice of the software engineers.

yup - since the dawn of time.  Always a hack around it but you have to wonder why they do it.

probert500's gear list:probert500's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 45mm f/2.8 +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow