When a lens has an identity crisis

Started Oct 29, 2014 | User reviews thread
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
cberry Senior Member • Posts: 1,127
When a lens has an identity crisis

Sometimes life surprises you - in this case Canon designed a lens that can do a lot and do it very well.

At a full frame equivalent of 96mm, you'd expect this lens to cope with portraits, and then again, with the tiny 20cm focus distance, this allows 1:1 reproduction.

f/2.8 isn't the slowest lens out there and sometimes you might feel that canon could have just gone that little bit wider - say f/2 but then again, you have the same aperture at the focal length as the best L series zoom.

96mm equivalent puts it right between the 85mm and 100mm full frame lenses at basically the same price as the 85mm, 3/4 of the price of the 100mm f/2.8 Macro.

The sharpness is delicious. You can forget you are shooting on a crop sensor quite easily - except for the weight. Manual focus is a breeze, with a huge throw and with a touch-screen camera, close focusing on tiny objects extremely accurately is child's play.

AF is a tad slower but then again, feels more accurate than the 85mm f/1.8.

Bokeh in macro shots and portraits alike is very pleasant , maybe a little too harsh at longer focal lengths.

Who is this for? I shot most of a wedding with it and the images were far better than I expected.

I shot stock photos for a presentation and it was an absolute breeze to get classy backgrounds.

In fact, there's not much this little gem cannot do.

cberry's gear list:cberry's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +3 more
Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Telephoto macro prime lens • Canon EF-S • 0284B002
Announced: Feb 17, 2005
cberry's score
Average community score
Flat
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow