I never thought I'd now be the owner of a G7X when I woke up this morning!

Started Oct 15, 2014 | Discussions thread
J_dpr Contributing Member • Posts: 881
Re: It's not just 24mm and corners that a problem for the G7X

2eyesee wrote:

J_dpr wrote:

Hi 2eyesee,

DPP info on your RAW files reports "AF mode = Manual Focus". Does it mean they where shot using manual focus or is this some sort of misnomer in the exif info?

That would be right for those two - I actually did AF then switched to MF and recomposed. Should have just used the touch screen - not used to such a convenience after using Sony for so long!

I was also comparing a 28mm shot if you want to have a look at that too (AF this time). I've used up my 200MB monthly limit on DPR Galleries,

LOL - I can imagine. I Wish I could donate some space for you 

so I've put them on Google+:

G7X 28mm JPEG

G7X 28mm RAW

RX100M3 28mm JPEG

I think I could happily live with performance like this from the G7X and use it in the 28-100mm range. It's not as clean as the RX100M3 at 28mm, but quite acceptable I think given what you get in return at the tele end.

In the end though there are just a few little things that tip the RX100M3 in favour for me - the tilting flash (which I use a lot indoors), the better detail in video, the viewfinder, much better 24mm. It was a tough call though, and I will miss the 100mm and touch screen in particular.

Yes indeed a tough call. As you can probably tell I'm still sitting on the fence. But I have now decided that I will either buy the G7X or wait for something better and just live 'happily' with my SX280 and S95 for a while.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow