E-M1 & Oly 9-18 major shutter shock issue?

Started May 3, 2014 | Discussions thread
Photo Pete Veteran Member • Posts: 4,085
Re: E-M1 & Oly 9-18 major shutter shock issue?

Paulmorgan wrote:

thxbb12 wrote:

Wanting a UAW, I just purchased the Olympus 9-18 lens.

However, at 9mm I simply can't get any sharp images when the shutter speed is between 1/180 and 1/300. Even on a tripod with a 2 sec. delay, the result is exactly the same.

My E-M1 has the latest firmware installed 1.3 with the shutter shock [0] setting enabled.

The odd thing is that I have other lenses (Oly 12-40, Oly 40-150, Oly 17 1.8, Oly 45 1.8, Oly 75 1.8, Pana 25 1.4, Pana 12-32) and none of them are prone to shutter shock at these speeds!

In fact, I've only very rarely encountered a lack of sharpness due to shutter shock at any speed. The crazy thing is that with this 9-18, the behavior is extremely consistent and reproducible. It makes the lens pretty much unusable anywhere between 1/150 and 1/300!

I wonder if I have a faulty lens or if it's something common with this lens...? The former seems more likely because I haven't read of anyone having this exact issue. Usually shutter shock is not so much lens dependent.

Any help or advice on this matter would be very appreciated. There is no way I can keep this lens in this state of affairs.

User error.

I'm intrigued by this old thread. The OP seems to indicate that problems only occurred for certain shutter speeds between 1/150 and 1/300th second, implying that there were no problems at other speeds. That would seem to rule out user error and also rule out a faulty lens.

I haven't experience any issues with my 9-18mm but I hope the OP finds this renewed thread and posts the outcome.

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow