I never thought I'd now be the owner of a G7X when I woke up this morning!

Started Oct 15, 2014 | Discussions thread
skyform Regular Member • Posts: 257
Re: It's not just 24mm and corners that a problem for the G7X

2eyesee wrote:

J_dpr wrote:

Yes I see what you mean and I agree that RX100M3 looks sharper, but is it more detailed? Perhaps slightly but I think local contrast and sharpennig algorithm plays a role. Do you by any chance have the RAWs of this shot available?

I don't have the RAW's for these as I was shooting JPEG with High ISO Noise Reduction set to Low, and you don't have this option when you shoot RAW + JPEG for some reason.

The JPEG's for the 24mm and 28mm are in my gallery. I'll do some RAW's soon, but it's a grey, overcast day today.

I respectfully disagree with you here. IMO the G7X shot is clearly the most detailed.

Of course it is, but my point is that if you accept the G7X as a compromised wide angle lens compared to the RX100M3, then you can crop (in post) or use Clear Image Zoom (in camera) to give it an effectively longer (but compromised) zoom.

And a BIG thank you to you too for contributing to the investigation into the true IQ of the G7X. I really appreciate your great work. I'll probably still get the G7X despite it's flaws which IMHO are rather minor if one shoots in RAW which I don't mind doing.

It's been a very interesting exercise for me comparing the G7X to my RX100M3 - I'm glad you found it useful. It's not about trying to prove one camera better over the other, but rather which one is more suitable to an individuals needs. Even though I've come out on the side of the RX100M3 for my needs, there's still a lot I like about the G7X.

No I can't accept that because the 85mm croped shot of RX100 looks terrible compared to G7X and G7X does not look terrible compared to RX100 at 28mm to 35mm, it's just a bit more blurry with worse corners. G7X can go to 100mm which would look like crap if croped on RX100.

skyform's gear list:skyform's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Apple iPhone 5
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow