I never thought I'd now be the owner of a G7X when I woke up this morning!

Started Oct 15, 2014 | Discussions thread
OP 2eyesee Senior Member • Posts: 2,109
Re: I hope you find something that works for you...

Ray Sachs wrote:

I've been shooting a ton with the G7X in a variety of settings, including foliage filled landscapes and architectural shots. I see the images at full size on the 27" monitor (not 100%, but the full image at the largest it will display) and they look wonderful. And I think they can't possibly have the problems you're talking about. But when I occasionally give into curiosity and look at 100%, it's all there, all of the same problems in the details outside of the center at the wider focal lengths. Fortunately it doesn't bother me like it bothers you and I just remind myself that I'll never see it at any size or format I'd actually view the photos at and I just go on my merry way making photos with what is otherwise a superb tool (for me).

But I get the OCD thing and if it's gonna bother you knowing those flaws are in those files, then it's not the camera for you. I wouldn't accept it from my DSLR or higher end fixed lens cameras, but in a camera that does as many things right as this one does and is as handy and convenient as it is, I'm ok with it. The shots I'm making with it wI'll look great in a 12x18" print and that's as large as I usually print. But your mileage obviously varies, so I hope Olympus or Nikon or someone makes the camera you're looking for... If someone does and it's good enough, I might even trade up for it, but it would have to have some of the shooting / interface features I like so much with the G7X that most compacts don't have.

Thanks for your comments, Ray. I have appreciated the perspective you have brought to the G7X discussions on this and other threads.

One thing I have found about myself though is that I actually enjoy viewing photos at 100% and seeing detail that I otherwise wouldn't at normal viewing and print sizes, and that's just something I haven't been able to get past with the performance of the G7X at wide angles.

So I'll just content myself living within the rather limited 24-70mm that my RX100M3 offers for the time being. Sony, Canon, Fuji and Panasonic have shown their hands for this generation of compacts - so it will be interesting to see what Nikon and Olympus are going to bring to the table.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow