Shooting wedding with primes only

Started Aug 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
Dustinash Contributing Member • Posts: 682
Re: Shooting wedding with primes only

kormendi_adam wrote:

I wonder if any of you pros think it is possible to shoot weddings with primes only.
I ask this strictly from curiosity.

Yesterday I attended a friend's wedding and had my D300s with me, with 35 and 85 primes. I took 4 photos in total (so I really did not intend to 'play the pro' there).

I had the feeling that, if I had been the hired photographer, I really would have a hard time changing lenses and I think I would have missed a lot of shots.

Do you think it is possible to use primes only for weddings?
From what I have seen yesterday, I would say it does not make any sense...

The short answer to this is to shoot a wedding with primes you need to be a Boss.

The long answer is that the people who are shooting 10k plus weddings are primarily prime shooters.

The 1500$ zero 3d lighting because they destroyed it with their on camera flash to make their zoom actually be able to capture an image photographers are using zooms yes.

There is a time and a place for a zoom.  I guess.  If you're lazy and like giving up image quality for not moving your butt and thinking in primes..

It's so funny and so modern photography to ask this.

My recommendation is go look for some photographers.  Preferably leica range finder shooters.. ask them this question.. And then ask them why one of their manual focus, non-stabilized lenses are worth more then a 5d mark III with a top zoom.  You should discover something that hopefully will lead you down the road to becoming a photographer.

I say this somewhat tongue in cheek.  The first 5 years of my career a ran around zoom shooting stuff too..  thinking I was so much smarter and faster then those idiots with primes.

Too bad.. Their images are timeless and zoom snapshots are typically..  unmemorable.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SBS
SBS
BAK
SBS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow