D5300 vs OMD EM5 vs A6000 vs GX7

Started Oct 20, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
flyboyt New Member • Posts: 20
D5300 vs OMD EM5 vs A6000 vs GX7

I'm upgrading from a pretty nice Fuji Point n Shoot to a camera with interchangeable lens. Started with thinking that DSLRs were the holy grail. Then learnt that not all DSLRs are created equal. After further research stumbled onto the world of mirrorless cameras. Finally, after a lot of reading, am torn between the these 4 choices. From what I read:

D5300 - excellent lightweight mid-range DSLR with no real weakness except that Live View mode is slow, focus points are not that many and do not cover the entire screen, no touchscreen.

OMD EM5 - weather sealed body, 5 axis stabilization, excellent image quality but smaller sensor, only 16 megapixels (as compared to D5300 and A6000), no built-in flash, video quality average (not a deal breaker), Continuous AF not as good as D5300 and A6000.

Panny GX7 - excellent all-around camera with good image quality as well as video, IBIS but again smaller sensor, less megapixels, image quality and IBIS of the OMD better, no weather sealing.

A6000 - Bigger sensor, more megapixels, lot of AF points, wireless, built-in flash - seems to have no real weakness except no weather sealing and not as many lenses as the OMD and the Panny.

I understand that 16 or 24 megapixels does not make much of a difference unless you want to blow up your image to a large size or crop it extensively. Plus image quality is more important than video for me. And price (in the range of all the above) is not an issue.

So, if I wanted a camera with great image quality, great low light performance, better than average Continuous AF, which should I go for?

Just FYI I had decided on the OMD EM5 with the 12-40 f2.8 and the Panny 45-175 (not too much zoom but, from what I read great performance compared to the other zooms) but a friend got the D5300 and was praising it to the skies. So am a little undecided now.

Any thoughts?

Nikon D5300 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SmM
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow