I never thought I'd now be the owner of a G7X when I woke up this morning!

Started Oct 15, 2014 | Discussions thread
OP 2eyesee Senior Member • Posts: 2,077
Re: I never thought I'd now be the owner of a G7X when I woke up this morning!

dpr4bb wrote:

Congrats on your new camera. I'd love to hear your thoughts on how you like it for portraits. There have been reports that at 100mm eq., the lens gets sharp enough at f/3.5 for sharp eyes/eyelashes. Do you see this, as well? How about wide open at 85mm?

I've finally gotten around to try a few portraits and compared them to my RX100M3.

I think it's fair to say that while the RX100M3 blows the G7X away with its performance at wide angles, the G7X happily returns the favour at the tele end. The fast 100mm lens gives a narrower field of view and greater background blur, so I can achieve subject isolation on the G7X than I just simply couldn't get anywhere near on my RX100M3.

I'm also pretty happy with what can be achieved wide open at 100mm. We've seen the G7X struggle close up wide open so I've kept distance to subject a reasonable 2m in these portraits, and I'm perfectly happy with the results at f/2.8. They are a bit softer than f/3.5, and f/4.0 is best sharp but I think f/2.8 is perfectly fine for anything other than huge prints.

For the RX100M3 shot, I moved the camera close to get the same framing at 70mm (its maximum reach). It was an overcast day and the lighting was a bit variable with the clouds, so the RX100M3 may have had slightly different light, but I have to say the skin colour overall tone of the G7X images are much more pleasing.

G7X 100mm f/2.8

G7X 100mm f/3.5

G7X 100mm f/4.0

RX100M3 70mm f/2.8

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow