Have a Sony camera, but like Canon colors? Here you go.

Started Oct 9, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
trale Senior Member • Posts: 1,113
Have a Sony camera, but like Canon colors? Here you go.

It's been a mostly accepted notion that "Canon colors" are superior to the default colors produced by Sony cameras. A recent view that directly compares the new Canon G7X to the Sony RX100M3 highlights this:

http://www.mobile01.com/newsdetail.php?id=15679

Here's a few portrait from this review that demonstrates this:

PortraitA - G7X OOC jpeg

PortraitA - RX100m3 OCC jpeg

PortraitC - G7X OOC jpeg

PortraitC - RX100m3 OOC jpeg

Like many, I do prefer the way the Canon images look. I've always noticed that default images from my own RX100 and RX10 seemed to be too cool and muted. However, I shoot in RAW anyways and processed colors any way I liked in Lightroom. But I thought about reverse-engineering the default RX colors to match default Canon colors. It's actually fairly easily. Broadly speaking, Canon images are warmer, more magenta-tinted, have more Red tones, and more saturated. Sony for whatever reason have a muted cooler temperature and more yellows in their images, which can give a pale-sickly look especially on skin tones.

After some tweaking, I found that the following settings when applied in Lightroom does a decent job of "Canonizing" a RX image (for JPEGs).

WhiteBalance:

• Temperature +7 (warmer)
  • Tint +5 (more magenta tint)

Presence:

• Vibrance +5
  • Saturation +3

Hue Sliders (not saturation):

• Orange -17 (make orange hues more red)
  • Yellow -30  (de-emphasize yellow hues)
  • Green +10

The exact values can be different depending on individual images, but the above values are a decent starting point in order to match what a Canon camera will probably produce. Once these settings are made in Lightroom, they can be saved as a LightRoom preset that can be applied to any Sony JPEG with one click.

Here's the results of these settings applied to those RX portraits from the review site:

PortraitA - RX100m3 Canonized

PortraitC - RX100m3 Canonized

Pretty close if you ask me.

Feel free to take these settings and apply it to any of your RX portraits that you think would benefit from a bit of Canon colors.

Canon PowerShot G7 X Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow