Nikon D750 vs Sony A7s : help me decide

Started Oct 1, 2014 | Discussions thread
Grevture Veteran Member • Posts: 4,188
Well ...

Hans von der Crone wrote:

Thanks, cost-wise the A7S is out of the equation. So it's either the A7+55mm+35mm or the D750+24120+prime. The main reason I'm a bit hesitant to go for the D750 is weight. Not an issue when using this at home or for (paid) work, but it could be an issue for other things. On the other hand, I still have my a6000 + lenses when I need something lighter.

I have heard that argument a lot, and to me it seem a bit overblown. First: The weight difference between a D750 and a A7 is a mere 300 grams, which is not that much. It is not really heavy vs light, much rather light vs lighter ... Second: A DSLR like D750 gives you a bigger grip which in many ways nullifies the difference anyway. Third: Since the actual body weight difference is so small, the main difference will be in which lenses you choose. With the far greater selection of Nikon (or Canon) lenses, you can more easily build a low weight package fitting your specific needs.

I mean, look at fast primes (since you mentioned two for the A7): With Nikon you have a whole series of modern fast focusing f/1.8 primes: 20/1.8 at 355 grams, the 28/1.8 at 330 grams, the 35/1.8 at 305 grams, the 50/1.8 at 185 grams, and the 85/1.8 at 350 grams. While for A7 you have the just two FF primes, the 35/2.8 and 55/1.8. Now both are slightly lighter at 120 and 281 grams respectively, but the 35 mm is f/2.8, not f/1.8. And looking at prices, you can get the package of Nikon 28/1.8, 35/1.8, 50/1.8 and 85/1.8 for less money then the two Zeiss lenses

The A7 appeals to me because then I stay within the same system (e-mount), I get fullframe capability in a smaller and lighter body and I love the face and eyeAF features for portrait. But then I'd give up on lens selection, AF speed (I'm not an action shooter, but kids and people rarely stand or sit still) and possibly ISO performance.

Now, most of those arguments I do understand - it makes a lot of sense to me staying with one lens mount, with one set of menus, with one method of overall handling, and with one type of raw files simplifying the workflow. It mean you can easily work with A7 and A6000 in tandem - a two camera setup is always great both for flexibility and for peace of mind. You have just one type of batteries, meaning you can switch in a pinch and only need to bring one charger on trips.

The Eye-AF of A6000 and A7 sure is neat. And while I suspect the D750 might be a tad better at high iso then a A7 (it is a year newer), I really don't think the difference will be that great - they do share the same base sensor design.

These are, in my eyes, the real arguments for a A7, while the weight difference to me seem like a bit of a spurious one.

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smells funny

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow