stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,861
Re: Easy test

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

Joris1632 wrote:

I recently came across this Ansel Adams quote; -

Any thoughts?

A hundred years before AA photography was truly difficult: making ones own plates and then developing them, carrying heavy gear etc.

If AA was right in the thoughts expressed here the output of early photography would be a vast improvement on what was produced in his day (and in ours). There's still plenty of it to be seen: was it vastly better? Or, putting it the other way round, was AA's output vastly worse than the early masters'? If so, AA was right; if not, he was wrong.

But the art form evolved and people started getting better and doing more with it, so it's not possible to truly compare.

Not an absolute comparison, but unless that "getting better" means getting vastly better my test stands. And, of course, part of that "getting better and doing more with it" happened because the medium was getting easier ...

That too. One could speculate that there was a crossover point where ease of use took away the "forced" contemplative aspect. I know that my composition got much better and my keeper rate went up when I used a view camera. Past tense!

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hdr
tex
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow