Nikon D750 vs Sony A7s : help me decide

Started Oct 1, 2014 | Discussions thread
Mtlsx Regular Member • Posts: 160
Re: Nikon D750 vs Sony A7s : help me decide

Best answer so far imo.

I don't know if you'll cover the cost of renting, but it certainly beats spending 3 to 4k for a couple of paid weddings and be dissatisfied with it. If you really get a lot more paid work that would well cover your time spent, expenses and the cost of buying into a system, then do it.

Now that you're mostly free from an expensive system (FF Canon/Nikon/Sony) I would take the opportunity to see what's coming before jumping into another system you may want out in a couple of years. See what Sony, Canon, Nikon are going to come out with: dual pixel FF, electronic global shutter, higher Mpx, or whatever you think would contribute to your shooting style.

After a handful of wedding work you'll have a better idea of what you need and what either camera can achieve for you. Coming from a 5D3 with L glass (too bad you sold it!), you should know fairly quickly what work for you.

My impression without real world use is that the D750 does seem like a great wedding camera. Where the A7s shine is very-high iso performance and video.
In an ideal world you would use a d750 for most stills and the A7s where the d750 lacks. That's where my only gripe with the Nikon lens system is, they are fewer adapters for mirrorless and less compatibility: Aperture control, AF or even AF confirm, metering

Ideally you would have kept your 5dIII and bought an A7s...

cm71td wrote:

I don't think that the 12MP is an issue, but I do think that the a7s autofocus will be a major problem. I haven't personally tried the a7s, but I have tried Fuji mirrorless cameras. Trying to focus on moving people can be incredibly frustrating.

I would certainly rent an a7s before investing in the system.

Mtlsx's gear list:Mtlsx's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-2 Ricoh GR Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 60D Nikon D750 +25 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow