Nikon D750 vs Sony A7s : help me decide

Started Oct 1, 2014 | Discussions thread
ImageAmateur Veteran Member • Posts: 4,907
Re: Nikon D750 vs Sony A7s : Lens prices

One thing that surprises me on the 'other' non Canon and Nikon brands is lens prices.

Canon and Nikon get a lot of heat for being who they are, but when one looks at the lens prices, new, they are actually VERY reasonable for top grade quality.

M 4/3 lenses are ridiculously expensive.

While Fuji and Sony (made by Zeiss, which is likely the Cosina factory (my guess)) are reputed to make wonderful lenses, they are expensive.

So, I would consider Canon and Nikon to be a better system choice from that viewpoint.

One could acquire three 1.8 lenses say, 28 1.8, 50 1.8 and 85 1.8 for a grand total of about USD 1,400 and throw in the 70-200 f4 and you have a lens selection of high optical quality and fast lenses, all for about USD 2,800.

Try that with any of the alternatives. I don't think you are going to be able to get such optical quality, sensor and lenses, for that elsewhere.

And, there are more choices for the 'special' lenses at your favourte focal length, say 35mm 1.4 or 24mm 1.4.

Then, the third party lenses are all made first for Canon and Nikon.

Whether Sigma or Zeiss.

And, there are all the wonderful older AF-D and AI lenses out there, such as the 85mm 1.4 AF-D, which sellers at about USD 750 in excellent condition.

Try getting something in that focal length for such price with M 4/3.

In short, I don't think you can beat the Nikon, if you are looking at long term system use.

Just something I think some don't always state outright when looking to choose systems.

Regards

PS - and how about if you sell a lens, which do you think you will be able to sell at a fair price? I suspect the Nikon.

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

ImageAmateur's gear list:ImageAmateur's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Phase One Capture One Pro
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow