Is digital photography too easy?

Started Aug 30, 2014 | Discussions thread
stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 18,970
Re: Is good digital photography too easy?

Lights wrote:

After thinking about this for a while....

Any photography can be as easy as pushing a button. But to do something interesting, or meaningful can be very difficult in any media. It's as hard, involved, and learned, or easy as a person makes it I think, at least in general. Also in general, I think results are proportional to effort. I can write words, but that doesn't make me Shakespeare, or Dylan Thomas.

I do think one great benefit of digital, besides the technical aspects, is that for someone learning photography, or even for the advanced photographer...that the ability to receive immediate feedback is wonderful. With the ILC's or live view DSLR's the WYSIWYG can be a very strong benefit. I don't think that it makes it too easy, but it makes it easier to see what you're doing. Thinking that alone improves the keeper rate.

Digital takes the "natural brakes" off the process such that we can just shoot away and not think about it. Modern photography benefits greatly from very deliberate deliberation. I make efforts to leave my camera in my bag and make some very specific inquiries about what I'm shooting before I take it out and start snapping away.

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hdr
tex
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow