Portraits of Africa and Asia

Started Sep 28, 2014 | Discussions thread
nico3d
OP nico3d Contributing Member • Posts: 877
Re: Fantastic!

Fantastic! In reply to nico3d, 14 hours ago

I dream about going on a trip like this. How do you get to so close to the people? Do you just ask to take their photo? They look at ease.

aniltulsi wrote:

Same question from me. How do you befriend the unknown people to let you click their pictures? They are superb...

I think the most critical thing is that I don't treat my subjects as objects. I have a genuine interest in the people I portray and photography comes second to this. I engage them and spend time with them. Sometimes is 5 minutes and sometimes 5 days, but the important thing is that I enjoy the social experience of meeting people that I find interesting, people I can learn from. When you approach people like this, with your open heart, they can sense this. I don't overwhelm them sticking my big gear on their noses. I befriend people like I would anybody else, thus, by the time I actually pull out the camera, people feel comfortable, they don't feel used, they know I'm there because I respect them, I listen to them, I'm interested in whatever they can share with me. This is the true secret, if it can be called that way.....be a nice human being first and a good photographer later

nico3d's gear list:nico3d's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow