Considering jumping ship from Nikon to Canon 7D MkII - question about Canon sensors and overall IQ

Started Sep 26, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Retzius
Retzius Contributing Member • Posts: 895
Considering jumping ship from Nikon to Canon 7D MkII - question about Canon sensors and overall IQ

Hello.

I am a long time Nikon D200 user and I have been waiting a long long time for a D400. It has not materialized and the Canon 7D MkII looks very appealing. It really ticks all the boxes on what I want and need in a "pro" DX body.

My only source of doubt is the Canon sensor. Objective scores from places like DxO always rate the Canon sensors lower when it comes to DR and sensor noise. However, many Canon shooters I talk to think that scores like DxO don't do a good job of rationalizing the overall IQ where they think Canon has the upper hand.

My questions are:

1. Do you think the Canon sensors do a better job than the scores indicate?

2. In the Dpreview interview with Canon, the representative says "We are very focused on getting the best image quality. I’m not sure what measurements you’re looking at but when it comes to dynamic range for example we consider image quality as a whole, from low to high ISO sensitivities and on balance we consider our sensors to be the best."

What is he looking at to consider their sensor as "the best"?

Thanks

Retzius's gear list:Retzius's gear list
Ricoh GR III Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow