Nikon 85mm 1.4D vs 1.4G

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Omniryx New Member • Posts: 3
Re: Nikon 85mm 1.4D vs 1.4G

tiko wrote:

p m h wrote:

From googling, it seems that newer 1.4G

i) has better sharpness which might be useful for D800e.

ii) autofocus is slower than 1.4D but accuracy is better.

Not sure if I find AF slower than the 1.4D, actually it's pretty fast. Sharpness wide open is great!

Like tiko, I've not found the 1.4D AF to be objectionably slow.  The sharpness of both the D and the G are so good that only dedicated pixel peepers will have concerns about either one.

You might consider sending your lens to Nikon for a tune-up.  I've made thousands of exposures with the 1.4D and the AF accuracy has always been dead on.  Lots of the D lenses have some years on them and may have been bumped or knocked around even though they look perfect.

Despite another reader's cryptic comments seeming to allude to some sort of Nikon conspiracy, neither of these lenses has a reputation for inconsistent performance.

Me?  I'm saving my allowance for an Otus 85.  I should be able to afford one in, oh, say 2025.

-- hide signature --

Si non convenit, noli id facere;
si non est verum, noli id dicere.

Omniryx's gear list:Omniryx's gear list
Leica M9 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow