All around.. its good

Started Sep 24, 2014 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
stadlereric Forum Member • Posts: 54
All around.. its good

My experience with this lens has been with the Sony A77 - APS-C style sensor. I don't have any experience with full frame on this particular lens.

PROS:

With my A77 i can get some pretty sharp images.

This was taken hand held

Red Panda - 500mm - f/8 - ISO200 - 1/60th - Exp 0 - Steady Shot on

The lens is just as sharp at the edge as it is in center.

Light compared to Sony 70-400G SSM

Flare control is good

Distortion is minimal. not usually an issue with tele zooms

CONS:

Focusing manually is difficult. The focus ring only turns about a quarter turn and there is some slop 1/8" that can cause a subject at 450-500mm to either be in focus or not. It can be very difficult to get the subject in focus, sometimes having to go out of focus and back in seems easier. If that makes sense

Auto Focus: Hit and miss, more miss than hit or maybe 50/50. I'm comparing this to the Sony 70-400G SSM, which is very precise (meaning consistency) and accurate.

Large 86mm filter size

This copy back focused on my setup. I used the A77 micro AF adjustment to get to focus properly which is a lot of work to be done correctly

Thoughts:

If you can find this lens for a decent price online somewhere like I did (under $500) you should consider it among the several 400mm+ telezooms. I was impressed with the sharpness, not impressed at all with the focusing abilities.

Of the couple hundred images I got with the Sony 70-400G SSM I rented, I like the ones I get with this lens better. I'm a stickler for sharpness and I just think the Tamron is sharper regardless of what the reviews tell me.

I took the huge hood off

I also removed the filter ring which seemed gimmicky for a lens of this type, I don't think most people would be using a polarizer on a lens that already needs so much light to get a good exposure.

I give it 3.5 stars mainly because of the lightness and performance/price ratio which to me is very good. The focusing performance is sub-par.

stadlereric's gear list:stadlereric's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +5 more
Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Telephoto zoom lens • Canon EF, Nikon F (FX), Sony/Minolta Alpha
stadlereric's score
Average community score
Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow