Canon SX520 HS: Value for the money

Started Sep 24, 2014 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
slick rex New Member • Posts: 2
Canon SX520 HS: Value for the money

I was actually looking for super zoom & good image camera that was gonna fit my budget. I will use it mainly for my vacation trip to Singapore to watch the 2014 F1 Singapore Gran Prix in which I am not sure if I will be able to take photos near my area.

On top my research, I was tempted to purchase Canon SX700 HS for its 30x optical zoom. Its reviews are nice and the video sample that I saw from a website is also good. Next on my list was Sony WX300 for its 20x optical zoom and good battery life (though the model was a bit older).

Upon comparing the prices and specs of these two items, one salesman recommended that I purchase the NEW Canon SX520 HS. Well, the unit is actually only a week old after its release in SG and I have not much reviews to compare on. But for its value and specs I think its a good buy. 42x optical zoom that comes along with 16MP is hard to find in a compact camera.

Also with its SLR look, its amazing how my budget easily fits in and its handles feels like you own a SLR especially when u try to maximize the zoom capability of the unit.

The images are nice, very sharp especially in daytime. The zoom is very awesome. i was able to zoom in a clock tower which I think is 80 - 100 feet away from me and the results are AMAZING. Crisp and sharp.

I am still learning diff functions but I think this one has is very practical for value of money.

The only cons here is that I wish they had built in Wi-Fi too for easier sharing and a bit of additional battery life.

Overall, I'm satisfied. Good price for the specs.

4.5 stars (I could have given this 5 stars if it has Wi-Fi hahaha!)

Taken around 80-100 feet away. Auto

Sentosa

Hopefully I can get more good shots next time using this prized mini-SLR

Photography learning on-going...........

>> follow me on instagram @slickrex4threee

© Rex Cesar '14

slick rex's gear list:slick rex's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX520
Canon PowerShot SX520 HS
16 megapixels • 3 screen • 24 – 1008 mm (42×)
Announced: Jul 29, 2014
slick rex's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
great
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
great
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
great
= community average
Canon PowerShot SX520 PowerShot SX700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow