With the new Fuji glass, is the size/weight advantage disappearing?

Started Sep 23, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jim Cassatt Veteran Member • Posts: 4,920
With the new Fuji glass, is the size/weight advantage disappearing?

One of the reasons for slowly moving from full frame (Canon 5D MKIII) to Fuji has been the size/weight advantage of the Fuji system over the Canon system.  As I and others have pointed out, the primary savings is in the lenses rather than the camera.

Now with the introduction of the Fuji 50-140 f2.8, I am beginning to wonder.  To a first approximation, it would seem that one should compare it to the Canon 70-200 f4L IS on a full frame camera (I select Canon because I use Canon and am familiar with their lenses).  DOF at f2.8 on an APS-C camera is approximately equal to f4 on a full frame camera.  The high ISO performance of my 5D MKIII is about 1.5 stops better than that of my X-E2 (can't speak for the X-T1 since I don't have it) if one considers the inflated ISO of the Fuji.

In terms of quality, given Fuji's experience in lens design, I would expect it to be outstanding.  However, the Canon 70-200 f4L is one of the best lenses Canon makes.  The Canon lens is lighter (760 gr vs 955 gr) and uses small filters.

Sure one can make a point about the size and weight of the respective bodies.  I would argue, however, that the full frame body balances better than the Fuji body and one has all of the advantages of a full frame camera, including much better autofocusing with the 5D MKIII.

Price--the Canon lens is 1299 vs 1599 for the Fuji lens

Price of the bodies.  Let's face it.  If you can afford Fuji lenses or Canon L glass, you can afford an Canon 5D MKIII :).

In the past. when I would shoot events, I would carry a pair of Canon full frame bodies, one with the Canon 24-105 f4L and the other with the Canon 70-200 f2;8 L IS (a real beast since sold).  Were I to go back to shooting events, I would shoot with the Fuji plus something like the 18-55 or even the 18-135, which I like a lot).  For the telephoto side, I would probably still use the Canon and get the 70-200 f4L IS.

Just my thoughts.

-- hide signature --
 Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Fujifilm X-E1 +18 more
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow