Fuji X100 images in new Capture One Pro 8 vs LR 5.6: high ISO detail problems(stars lose all colour)

Started Sep 23, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
thedarktower New Member • Posts: 13
Fuji X100 images in new Capture One Pro 8 vs LR 5.6: high ISO detail problems(stars lose all colour)

I posted this in another thread about Capture One Pro 8 but it got burried, so here goes nothing:

I really like the way Capture One Pro 8 handles the high ISO noise in my Fuji X100's images. BUT: I uploaded two cropped images (200%, from a photo showing the northern lights in Norway) to imgur which show how a) Lightroom 5.6 manages to keep a loads of different colours in a starry night sky and b) how C 1.8 meanwhile blows out all colours and leaves only white stars. I tried lowering every single noise reduction slider there is, took out sharpening, moire.. nothing helps: C1.8 doesn't seem to be able to render colourful stars.

Colour in stars at ISO 1600 LR 5,6 vs C1.8 Fuji X100

Does anyone know why this is? I love Capture One's performance and its toolset but I don't care for the amount of detail lost in high ISO shots.

I tried using Linear curve (as opposed to "Film Standard") to no avail; the stars stayed mostly white. When reducing colour noise reduction to absolute minimum (~5ish) I could make out a bit more colour but definitely less than in LR.

I uploaded the DNG (the original RAF file got discarded years ago when importing and converting to DNG) and a possible JPG edit to dropbox. Zoom in all the way in the jpg and you can see how much detail could be preserved in the stars. I know, this might be me being nit-picky but I thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiink one can see the difference in colours even in a fully zoomed out version. The stars just twinkle in a more pleasant way.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/93steltxeb1pt02/AABOeGnrWgdjk2oS2MnzjHHja?dl=0

PS: That shot was taken back in 2013; back then I knew nothing about the "500 rule", thus the blurry stars.

PSS: Capture One doesn't give me the option to choose a lens profile for the Fuji X100 because (I guess) the camera-specific information got lost when making the RAF > DNG transition... is there any way to remedy that?

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Phase One Capture One Pro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow