Fuji 35mm f/1.4: unusable AF! Normal or hardware issue?

Started Sep 22, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
thxbb12 Senior Member • Posts: 2,039
Fuji 35mm f/1.4: unusable AF! Normal or hardware issue?

Hi all,

I own an X-T1 along the following lenses: 14, 23, 56.

Although AF is no speed daemon, with all of the above lenses AF is usable, even in low light. Sometimes the body would hunt, but more often that not, it's OK.

I just purchased the XF 35 f/1.4. I had read some occurrences of people complaining about the slow AF. It doesn't seem to be much different than my other lenses in terms of speed. However, it just cannot lock focus on anything! It's crazy how much it hunts. It's so bad that it really makes the lens unusable as far as I'm concerned. Granted, it is the evening (just received it), but still. None of my other XF lenses exhibit such horrible rattling back and forth! I use the smallest AF box (or the one size before the smallest). The box size is something I don't want to compromise on: I need the smallest one in order to focus accurately on what I want.

I checked the firmware of both the body and the lens. They are both at the latest revision, so no issue here.

Even when I manually select a high contrast area such as the mouse pad in the photo below, it can't lock focus (area between white and blue on the edge of the "M"). If I wait long enough, it might lock after maybe 6 or 7 seconds! (yes, you read correctly).

Can anyone with the same combo (X-T1 + 35) chime in to let me know if they are experiencing the same?

I just cannot fathom the AF to be so horribly bad...!

thxbb12's gear list:thxbb12's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Fujifilm X-T20 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow