On my Camera 70% of the time

Started Sep 19, 2014 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Calaverasgrande
Calaverasgrande Forum Member • Posts: 68
On my Camera 70% of the time

Bought this one last year at the B&H store in Manhattan.  It was the first lens I bought aside from the kit lens.  At the time I was instantly blow away by the greater image quality of this mere non IS non USM lens. It certainly cleans the clock of both my STM lenses. (18-55 and 55-250).

In comparison to my other lenses it is as if a veil was lifted. More contrast, more saturation. I can gun for higher contrast images and it works well with this lens. I'd also noticed that this focal length does seem a lot more natural than the 50mm "nifty fifty" in terms of viewing angle, but also the color and contrast looks better to me as well.

I can get decent photos with any of my Canon lenses. However the ones I get with this guy seem to take post manipulation better, and the focus just works the way I expect it to.

As far as motor noise, believe it or not I like to hear the motor. That way I know if the AF 'changed it's mind' before I snap a shot.

My STM lenses are only slightly quieter and I rarely use AF when shooting viddy anyway!

The metal mount has been described as 'too tight' elsewhere. That is a very odd complaint. I like the solidity of the mating between lens and body. The whole fit and finish of this lens is very good IMHO. Lovely focus ring action.

Things I do not like;

I very much wish the salesperson had mentioned the USM IS version of this lens. I may have balked at the price, but in the long run I would have preferred that all my lenses be USM/IS versions at the minimum. If I am going to shoot more video I will want to sell this (or keep it as a spare?) and upgrade.

The lens appears to have a slight orangish tint. This makes certain images pop. It looks wonderful on skin tones, in bars and clubs under low light and certain street scenes. However in cloudy overcast daylight shots I end up having to color correct a lot to get a natural look.

I've bought several more lenses since, but I keep going back to this one. It's like a perfectly broken in comfortable pair of jeans. I just wish it had IS!

-- hide signature --

I take photos to decompress from the day job.

Calaverasgrande's gear list:Calaverasgrande's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +4 more
Canon EF 35mm F2.0
Wideangle prime lens • Canon EF • 2507A002
Calaverasgrande's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow