Does the camera type affect AF speeds on the 20mm F1.7 Panasonic lens?

Started Sep 17, 2014 | Questions thread
brycesteiner
brycesteiner Senior Member • Posts: 1,886
Re: Does the camera type affect AF speeds on the 20mm F1.7 Panasonic lens?

thornhale wrote:

I like the lens, especially on my E-M5 because of its size. It is really sharp and the focus is not bad at all unless it's in a very dark location.

The only real problem I have noticed is this: In higher ISO (1600) or dark frame images it will put some sort of frequency banding patterns in the images that does not happen with other lenses. It's really strange. I didn't believe it at first when people where saying that until I was taking pictures of houses with Christmas lights at night and I saw it quite a bit then.

-- hide signature --

Make it a Great day!

What you are saying is of great concern to me actually because some shots I plan to make happen at weddings that are not well-lit.

Does banding happen on a GX7 body?

How "bad" (approximate seconds) does it take to focus in a dark location on a GX7 body?

When I mean dark, I mean 9 pm in January trying to focus on house Christmas lights. It's very dark. A church I haven't had any other focus problems except with stage lights that are extremely bright and washing people out compared to the background.

The banding was caused by something in the lens, but apparently Panasonic has it worked out. I thought maybe it was in body stabilization, but I changed lenses with stabilization on and it was fine. I'm not really sure what it was. I still like the lens. It really is good.

Both of my Panasonic lenses I get great images from.

-- hide signature --

Make it a Great day!

brycesteiner's gear list:brycesteiner's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow