Does the camera type affect AF speeds on the 20mm F1.7 Panasonic lens?

Started Sep 17, 2014 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
thornhale Forum Member • Posts: 57
Does the camera type affect AF speeds on the 20mm F1.7 Panasonic lens?

Hi there!

It has been a while since I last posted here. I am trying to decide between the 20mm F1.7 Panasonic lense and the 17mm F1.8 Olympus lens.

I have heard time and time again that the focus speeds on the Panasonic lenses are "glacially slow" though it is an optically very sharp lens producing nice bookeh. When watching Youtube videos that attempt to show this I find the focus speeds still well below 1 second on decently lit conditions. In dark conditions, it is around (bit still a little less than ) 1 second. So the claims of "glacially" slow are vastly exaggerated and those shots were done on Olympus cameras though.

So my question is: Does the camera (I have an Panasonic GX7) affect AF speeds.

Also is silhouetting reported by some Olympus users an issue for GX7 users? (What is causing this anyway?)

(Still mulling the choices here:

- Sharper lense with ok AF...potentially better focus than on an Olympus body, and cheaper price (20mm F1.7)

vs

- Better build, nicer MF with pump action, faster AF, but slightly less sharp (still way better than any kit lense), and slightly more pronounced vignetting?

Use cases for these lenses: Taking indoor or dim-lit shots without flash of potentially fast moving kids. Street photgraphy. Shots of family with some background.

thornhale's gear list:thornhale's gear list
Olympus SZ-30MR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow