Trad dSLR - finally, the beginning of the end?

Started Sep 9, 2014 | Discussions thread
jelow1966 Forum Member • Posts: 54
Re: I will believe it when I see my first mirrorless that’s not in a store

PK24X36NOW wrote:

Jim in Hudson wrote:

Stephenhampshire wrote:

Ian Stuart Forsyth wrote:

Doing wildlife and landscape to this date out in the field I have never run across a mirrorless camera

DSLR by the buckets and the odd phone used by a tourist but no ML cameras

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release

I go on photo charters to take pictures of trains, along with the normal brace of full-frame Nikons and Canons, a few Pentaxes,(inc mine) a number of DX Nikons a few film cameras, I have seen a Fuji XT-1, Olympus OMD EM-5 and Sony A7 (my, that thing is small!) plus a Nikon 1 of some description and a Panny Micro4/3 used for video. All touted by middle-aged British chaps!

No idea what this says about the future of OVF vs EVF technology! I'm not sure the EVF is quite there yet, but the prospect of proper hybrid viewfinders intrigues. Exposure simulation, focus peaking, "blinkies" in a viewfinder would all be really useful, whilst for fast moving action, the OVF seems to have advantages, as well as not consuming much power!

-- hide signature --

Action photography will be the hardest place for MILCs to get traction. I fully expect to see little but DSLRs on the sidelines of football games or courtside of basketball or hockey games. To me, the reason for this is clear. On a MILC, the camera is asking the sensor to do two things: display an image to the EFV or rear screen, and to record an image. With action photography, the time compression means that the sensor is being asked to both in virtually simultaneous fashion. In fact, when you're panning it's not just asked but it's required to do both simultaneously. That's a very tall order and one which doesn't really apply to the DSLR.

If all MILCs can have the same burst rate as the Nikons (don't really know anything about the other systems) then limitations of the EVF can be somewhat overcome by simply shooting with 30-60 FPS. Still requires timing things right but the chance for getting the shot is greatly increased. At least for the amature/local newspaper type, doubt the pros will be using anything like that in the near future.

John

No they can't - because all the frames per second in the world don't get the shot if the subject isn't where you think it is!

Why would that be the case?  Tracking something on my V1 is no different than with my Kx.  The actual shooting experience is because you get a series of stills in the VF instead of a brief blackness between frames like with an OVF.   I don't shoot any more action than birds being fed so I have no idea if that difference would be enough to ruin things but the idea that an EFV can't follow action just doesn't hold true anymore.

John

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
JNR
(unknown member)
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow