Trad dSLR - finally, the beginning of the end?

Started Sep 9, 2014 | Discussions thread
Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 6,144
Re: Weight savings.....

Hi Tan,

A K3 body only with battery weighs 800gms. My Fuji XT1 body only with battery weighs 440gms.   After that it depends what lenses you choose to attach to it.  When I'm hiking my basic kit is Fuji's excellent 18-55/2.8-4 which weighs 300gms.  That combo is noticeably both smaller and lighter than my K5 with 16-45 attached and fits into a smaller bag.   I've also got the Fuji 14/2.8, which weighs 235gms, or a whisker heavier than my 15/4 Ltd, and a used Fuji 60/2.4 macro coming which weighs only 215gms (though it's only 1:2 not 1:1).

To me, mirror-less makes sense if you keep the kit small and light.  Otherwise the weight savings from the smaller body become a progressively smaller percentage of the total kit because there's not much saved in the lenses.  Some are smaller and lighter than Pentax.  Some aren't.

Having spent some time in the Fuji Forum, I can tell you that not everyone thinks along the same lines.  There are many owners for whom the size and weight leans nothing and Fuji's most recent lenses have been bigger,  faster and heavier.  It looks like they're trying to convert pros at the moment rather than trying to cater to the light weight traveler and "small is beautiful" camps.

Cheers,

Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
JNR
(unknown member)
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow