Trad dSLR - finally, the beginning of the end?

Started Sep 9, 2014 | Discussions thread
northcoastgreg Regular Member • Posts: 138
Re: Trad dSLR - finally, the beginning of the end?

Unexpresivecanvas wrote:

northcoastgreg wrote:

Given how big and heavy Nikon and Canon full frame lenses are (and must be: an f2.8 FF zoom lens has to be big and heavy), it's hard to believe Canon and Nikon will consolidate their dominance with very light FF cameras.

Happens that among the most used lenses on Sony A7/A7r are the Canon ones using the metabones II. Then, light mirrorles will only extend the life of Canon and Nikon expensive glass and are opening a new market for them! I know several Sony shooters ordering brand new Canon glass.

The mistake here is to assume that merely because a few people are willing to shoot big lenses on  small cameras, then everyone will do it. I just listened to an episode of This Week in Photo, where the hosts spent most of the show praising mirrorless. Yet nonetheless they alll admitted that they would not want to shoot large SLR glass on their mirrorless cams.

There are always a certain number of people who are eccentric and are willing to do things that strike the rest of us as impractical and counter-intuitive. And I suspect that many of the people shooting large SLR glass on small mirrorless cameras will, once the novelty factor wears out, be using those lenses on larger, SLR cameras.

The problem with "the future is mirrorless" narrative is that it so far has been written by people who are hard-wired to be neophiles. These are people who worship virtually anything that's "new" and trendy, regardless of practical considerations, and who are incapable of appreciating the fact that not everyone is wired with a mania for the new.

Mirrorless is not about being a newcomer. I know several experienced photographers buying and using mirrorless. Ans it is no a new fad. It is a part of the market that will grow when the current models need replacement.

I suspect you're missing the point. I was not writing here about mirrorless, but about the mirrorless narrative, which is largely propogated by the neophile/gearhead crowd. People who use or switch to mirrorless solely for practical reasons (because mirrorless cameras/lenses are smaller/lighter) aren't the one's responsible for propogating the "mirrorless is the future" narrative.

Mirrorless cameras nowadays enjoy the advantage of being small. But there are tradeoffs involved in going small, the two biggest being: (1) they don't balance/handle well with larger lenses; (2) short battery life. These two reasons (along with the fact that many photographers have invested in APS-C or FF SLR glass and are hence locked into those systems) will provide a ceiling of sorts on the growth of compact mirrorless systems. In short, as soon as all those willing to give up the benefits of larger glass and/or all those who are hard-wired neophiles/upgrade junkies have moved over to mirrorless, the ceiling will be reached and growth in the mirrorless sector will slow to a crawl.

I use my EOS M with the 70-200L and it is Ok. As everything in life is a matter of understanding what it is about, trying and getting use to it.

I've used large lenses on small mirrorless cameras as well. And while it's doable, it's hardly ideal. Once you start using large lenses on small camera, you pretty much throw away the chief advantage of mirrorless, which is the small size and weight. The fact is, if you're shooting with large lenses, you might as well shoot with a larger camera. You'll get much better balance, not only in hand-hold shooting, but with tripod work. I know of a semi-professional photographer who's shooting with an Olympus EM-5 and the Oly 12-60. He's an old school photographer who uses a tripod and a hand-made L plate, just as he would if he were shooting with a DSLR. However, the EM-5 is not as well made as an SLR; and trying to balance that heavy SLR lens on the EM-5 has caused damage to the bottom of the camera.

The problem is not with mirrorless cameras, but with the propaganda that's been issued on their behalf. And the problem with the propaganda is that it's been fabricated and pushed by people who have turned mirrorless into a kind of religion that pits compact mirrorless against larger, SLR mount cameras. But it's not either/or. Human nature is not homogeneous. People have different wants and needs. Some photographers need to use large lenses; and they really would prefer having larger bodies to balance their large glass.

The majority of advanced photographers are not neophiles or gearheads. They're not going to choose a camera on the basis of what is new or trendy or what constitutes the vaguely adumbrated "future." They are pragmatists trying to get the best results out of the gear they can afford (which includes lenses they already own). The biggest complaint I hear from photographers about their gear is not that it's too heavy or too old or not trendy enough, but that's it's too damn complicated to operate. Technology is great; but it becomes a nuisance when it's not properly humanized.

Before you keep speculating on the abstract, please enjoy this video, where one of the most recognized portrait photographers explain how much he is enjoying the switch to mirrorless:

http://www.prophotonut.com/

Compact Mirrorless ILCs are great -- particularly when matched with small lenses. But that doesn't mean they're for everyone. Some people (indeed, most of the photographers I know) prefer the experience of using an OVF to using an EVF, regardless of whatever impressive specs are associated with the EVF. It's the quality of the experience, not how that experience is measured in some quantitative test, that counts, because conscious experience is fundamentally qualitative. We are human beings, not machines or number crunching gadgets.

northcoastgreg's gear list:northcoastgreg's gear list
Pentax K200D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
JNR
(unknown member)
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow