6D worse IQ than 1Ds II?

Started Sep 11, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Albert Silver Veteran Member • Posts: 3,313
6D worse IQ than 1Ds II?

I realize the title alone will bring about protests and no doubt replies that I am deluded. That is fine. I am trying to get replies from anyone who can help me, as this is not actually my opinion, and I am the involuntary beneficiary of it.

I have a good friend with a nice collection of cameras, mostly older bodies such as the 1D (the first and original), the 1D Mark II, and the 1Ds Mark II. That latter was his newest one in his collection until a couple of days ago. I had been with a Rebel, and planned on moving to FF via the 6D, but due to circumstances, had to hold off until the end of this year. My friend was planning on a Gear Lust 1Dx (he does landscape), but then called me up and said he had pulled the trigger on a 6D, moved by my ravings on the camera's merits. The next day, he told me he would sell it to me with better payment conditions than he bought it, claiming the marketing was all crap and a mountain of BS. I was shocked, and told him that while I was pining for the camera, and would certainly accept if he stuck to his guns, that a little more time and analysis was worthwhile. He had had it for only 24 hours after all.

I figured that although it was a great chance for me, as a friend I had an obligation to show him he was wrong, since he was arguing that the RAWs were all *destroyed* by noise levels, unacceptable to fine art landscape contrary to his 1Ds Mark II. He claimed there were unacceptable noise levels at ISO 100, which I squinted at and could not see, and that the noise at higher ISO destroyed the pictures.

He argued that the 6D was an amateur camera, unsuited for professional quality photography, offered me payment conditions if I really wanted the piece of garbage, and when I picked it up a half hour ago he handed it to me with "his condolences".

He added that he had sent a picture to be blown up to 70cm x 100cm, and that the noise from the RAW he sent was worsened, contrary to his 1Ds which always came out of the camera 'perfect'. He said that the only images that came out great were JPEGs, and he had not purchased it for JPEGs. I will note that after a very cursory look in the menus I can see he turned absolutely everything off, from NR to image settings.

It is a done deal, since in the end, I told him that while I simply could not accept his conclusions on IQ, I agreed that he should not keep a camera that had him so distrustful and upset.

Here is a sample picture of an ISO 6400 RAW (his own JPEG conversion) destroyed by noise. This was sent via FB so may have suffered further compression.

Albert Silver's gear list:Albert Silver's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS-1Ds
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow