X-E1 or X100s 18 or 27

Started Sep 3, 2014 | Discussions thread
Sal Baker Veteran Member • Posts: 9,983
Re: X-E1 or X100s 18 or 27

SimonWilder wrote:

ryan2007 wrote:

SimonWilder wrote:

Hi,

I've never been 100% happy with my X100s image quality however my partner had an X-E1 and 18-55 lens some time ago and I thought that in many situations it produced more pleasing image quality.

Given the current price of the X-E1 I was thinking of getting one and a 27mm lens, I think that the 27mm FoV might suit me better for my street photography.

so my question is this, how does the 27mm compare to the 18mm lens (which I've used)

also how much slower if the AF of the X-E1 with the 27mm compared to the X100s

Thanks

If you can't get a good result with the X100s the XE-1 will not be any better. It is the user not the camera generally speaking.

The quality of a photograph as is down to the photographer but image quality is limited in most part by the sensor/lens.

I've read previous post from Fuji users who think that image quality is better from the X-E1 than even the X-E2 or X-T1, personal pattern noise seems to be less noticeable on the X-E1 than the X-T1 from OOC Jpegs.

To me when comparing images from the X-E1 to the X100s the images seem to have more clean whites in the X-E1 photos but those were only from the 18-55 lens

Can you share those images please?  If your whites are gray, and you have a properly working camera, this is just exposure errors.  And what is "personal" pattern noise.  I've never seen any pattern noise in the X-E2.  Are you trying to push exposure in PP to make up for underexposed images?  This can cause banding in jpegs as they are only 8-bit files, but it's nothing like pattern noise.

Sal

I advise you manually set dynamic range to 100%, manually set ISO, manually set the autofocus point to the center. Be sure to get focus confirmation for an in focus image.

Do not use Velvia film simulation for skin tones.

Bracket exposure if you have to, which is not a bad thing to do all the time.

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow