7100 as full frame?

Started Sep 3, 2014 | Discussions thread
Mr Gadget Senior Member • Posts: 1,973
Re: 54

Mako2011 wrote:

Mr Gadget wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

billfreedom wrote:

I cant quite figure out why the full frame cameras are so much more $$ than the DX versions.

For example, if you took the 7100 and simply swapped out the sensor and replaced with a full frame sensor and processor and mechanics, how much more $$ would the camera cost to make?

A bit more...relative term, IMO. You would need a bigger mirror box, a bigger mirror, a different/bigger AF unit (more a dimension issue), A bigger OVF assembly, A bigger file handling architecture for the bigger file size, bigger battery maybe, and the bigger sensor....and a bigger body to house it all. You might need a bigger price tag to keep it profitable as well. I suspect, it's just not as simple as you might think.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

I kind of doubt your comment about a bigger file size, since both cameras are 24mpx the raw file sizes seem to range between 29-37mb, and both bodies share the same Expeed3 signal processor.

Wouldn't be 24mp. The FF version of the D7100 sensor would be 54mp just as the FF version of the D7000 (16mp) is the D800 (36mp)

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

I guess I didn't interpret the OP in that fashion. I was assuming (always a bad idea) that he was referring to putting a D750 sensor into a D7100 body. Of course if you scale the D7100 pixel pitch density up to a 36x24 and 54mpx then file sizes will get much larger and the load on the signal processor will be huge. If Nikon would take this approach it seems to me to be a D4x or D810x - I would doubt that they would consider putting such a resolution beast in mid line body... it would be interesting...

I guess I misunderstood the OPs post... back to polishing my car.

-- hide signature --

Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow