7100 as full frame?

Started Sep 3, 2014 | Discussions thread
Steve841 Contributing Member • Posts: 501
Re: Cost of the sensor

Kaso wrote:

Steve841 wrote:

the tech is the same or darn near

This is an assumption, and a simplistic one.

not according to Mr Gadjet [see below] and i'm not buying that it's a simplistic assumption either.

The situation is similar to flat panel displays, from those used in phones and tablet/notebook computers to those used for home entertainment and public exhibition. Those panels vary capabilities, qualities and prices -- pixel resolution is only one factor.

The FF sensors are more costly not because a small number of them are made. Manufacturing yield rate and in-camera electronic/firmware support add to their costs.

yeah i get yield rate but you can't add in camera electronics or firmware to sensor cost.

A $500 cost difference would usually result in a $1500 retail price difference. On top of that is the pricing decisions based on a certain market segment -- this happens to all sorts of products, from watches and automobiles to computers and cameras.

i was into watches for several years so i'm well aware of slightly more decorated/changed model number eta movements going for obscene times normal cost when they say omega instead of eta. it's a simple ripoff.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow