Nikon 1.8g's vs Sigma 1.4 Art Series

Started Aug 16, 2014 | Discussions thread
colombiano Contributing Member • Posts: 519
Re: Your both right

Stacey_K wrote:

colombiano wrote:

I assume the dog photo was shot with 80-200 F2.8. Let's say that you would take exactly the same shot with Sigma 50-150 2.8 (just because it's within the same focal range as photo, 120mm at F2.8 and because Sigma has similar sharpness and bokeh.)

Never used one, but heard it's a nice lens and likely would look very close to this image. But, take a shot with a 135mm f2DC and a 80-200 f2.8 both at 135mm and f2.8 and you would see a difference.

Of COURSE composition etc plays a larger part into the shot. NO WHERE am I discounting the importance of this or saying the skills of the photographer make little difference. I'm saying given you have the skills needed, sometimes the lens used can affect the final outcome.

If you don't believe so, buy the cheapest lens in the focal length you need and ignore any reviews or tests. I assume this is what you do?

-- hide signature --

Stacey

As I said: If the goal of photography is making 3 or more exactly the same photos with different lens and comparing them to find minute differences, than I'm from different world. My goal is to take pictures.

I take photos with lens I have at hand. Sometimes it's Zeiss, other time is Nikkor and sometime it's a Sigma, depending on what I think I would need. When I make a session, I don't take with me a Zeiss 50, Nikkor 85 and Sigma 50-150 to take same photos of a subject and compare which photo has better "transitions"... But I guess we are different

It's almost always me who is the limiting factor of photo's quality. Me and my "uncreative" execution, not the minute difference between lenses...

Regards,

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
9ck
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
xtm
9ck
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow