Nikon 1.8g's vs Sigma 1.4 Art Series

Started Aug 16, 2014 | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,373
Re: Your both right

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Gareth Bourne wrote:

If you don't believe so, buy the cheapest lens in the focal length you need and ignore any reviews or tests. I assume this is what you do?

Another person here posted comparison pictures of the 58mm f1.4 and, I think, the 50mm f1.8G. One of them is £1600, and the other is £149. That's nearly 11x more.

What do you think of the difference between them?

If it wasn't for the metadata I wouldn't know which one was which.

Key word there: "I."

You're setting yourself up for a blind test, there.

And, why would it matter? As I said, lens comparisons don't exist in the real world. You take a photo with a camera, and that's what people see. They think about that photograph as it is presented. They won't have multiple versions of it taken with different cameras or different lenses. When they think about it they won't think about the bokeh transitions, they'll think about the subject, the context, the composition, framing, tone, what it's ultimately about, what you feel about it, etc.

Microscopic differences between lenses don't really factor in any of that. The differences just don't have that much impact on the overall image,

You forgot to add "to me." Most on here have bigger issues than what lens, true enough, but you are not the supreme arbiter of what is visible to anyone but yourself. Your ceiling is someone else's floor.

I don't have a ceiling. I sleep under the stars...

especially where 'errors' can be corrected (maybe even automatically) in software before publishing.

Fail.

Fail? Fail what? Life? Maths? Job application? What was the question? Who are you?

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
9ck
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
xtm
9ck
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow