S1 versus HS50EXR phase 2

Started Sep 3, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kim Letkeman
Kim Letkeman Forum Pro • Posts: 33,437
S1 versus HS50EXR phase 2

Many have now seen the 8 articles I posted before I left for the long weekend. I spent the time to learn how to shoot long lenses again and the results were a huge improvement. I have some more anecdotal shooting to post, including some bees that again turned out nicely. All S1, since I am really testing that camera more than the HS50EXR.

I had both cameras with me on the weekend and will be posting a few more articles showing other anecdotal comparisons, and as a sneak preview I can tell you that I would quite likely buy the S1 over the HS50EXR if what I wanted was a fun camera with good reach and great close ups. It does not seem to be much of a contest ...

But you can judge for yourselves once I post the results ...

Meanwhile, the point of this thread is actually to solicit some ideas for more formal tests. I already have a couple on the list:

• wide and long at infinity from stable tripod position (hint: the S1 looks like it will actually win that too ... I think that it is only shorter distances where the focal length drops, which is very common on dSLR all in one lenses.)
  • of course an ISO ladder -- let's see if the HS50's several interesting modes help at all ... (hint: so far my informal testing says no.)

I will be walking in dark woods as well along the way and that might give the HS50EXR an edge ... but I am no longer sure about that ...

-- hide signature --
 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D600 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +17 more
Kodak Pixpro S-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow