How do you manage storing your D800/810 RAW files?

Started Sep 3, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Joe Tam Contributing Member • Posts: 651
How do you manage storing your D800/810 RAW files?

Hi,

I am starting to use the 800 before we upgrade to D810/750.  I shot about 440 GB during a recent assignment in Missouri.  Much of the data was from the 800 set to 12-bit uncompressed RAW.

How do you tame the data that this beast generates?   What is your backup strategy?

On the road I am currently using Chronosync to backup data from my SSD to another SSD on my Macbook Pro. The data is then synced to 2 2.5" 2TB external drives that I kept in my hotel in case my laptop is stolen or data corruption occurs.

When I get home I sync the main drive to a two-drive RAID 1 unit and another single usb 3 external drive.  I take my external drive to my dad's house and transfer to a 3 TB USB external drive there.  I also keep the data on one of the 2TB external drives.

Only problem is the 4 3 TB drives I purchased were supposed to last the whole calendar year.  Last year I filled up 2 TB.  Thanks to D800 I will either have change my methods or get a 4TB drive which I do not feel comfortable using.

I have looked at the Drobo but I prefer non-propriety backup solutions.  I currently keep several copies of all images from each year but perhaps there is a better solution since the D800/810 are redefining my storage estimates.

Any suggestions on back up strategies would be welcome.  Thanks.

Joe Tam's gear list:Joe Tam's gear list
Nikon D4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D4S Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Canon PowerShot G10 +23 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow