An overwhelming reason to move back to Film...

Started Aug 29, 2014 | Discussions thread
Lights
Lights Veteran Member • Posts: 3,583
Re: An overwhelming reason to move back to Film...

bford wrote:

Dave Luttmann wrote:

bford wrote:

Speedex Folder wrote:

I think that you should use whatever feeds your muse, whether it's a 4x5 Linhof shooting transparency film, a smartphone, a DSLR, whatever. There's no right answer.

No, there most certainly are right answers when capabilities and practicalities are considered. What one chooses to do despite those right answers is another matter.

If you are a film shooter, or a young digital shooter who actually never used film, I think it's unfortunate that your choices of film and developing and printing are shrinking so rapidly. If we could have a choice between today's digital and the world of film choices we had 20 years ago, we would really be living in a Golden Age.

We are in the "Golden Age" of photography. I suggest letting go of the past to fully realize that.

Different media choice are not the past...they are just difference. Kind of like telling someone to stop sketching because watercolour is the future. Sounds rather ridiculous....as does suggesting film is the past.

Not a valid comparison considering the technological differences and realities involved.

I'm old enough to miss Ektachrome and Kodachrome and Plus-X, Agfachrome, and so on. For now we can still do our own black and white, which is still fun. As a 'one-hour lab' guy for quite a while, I can tell you I do NOT miss the tight tolerances and completely-in-the-dark regimen required by C41 processing, and to me, it was so tedious a process, I think it primed people to take the first alternative that came along: Digital. Anybody that had a decent home computer and printer suddenly owned a darkroom !

I do miss not being able to buy a home E6 kit for transparencies, and still shoot the occasional roll of VELVIA for old times' sake.

The world is change, and the world has changed. Technology moves on. Film was what we had, so we made the most of it. Now the world is digital and we are learning our way into it, just as we did with film in those days.

You can argue steam or diesel locomotives, props or jets, LP's or downloads, it's just endless. But for me the only thing that's important is what suits me to express myself as best I can. In this medium, if film suits you, go for it. If digital is all you want, have a ball.

Right now, there's some wet plate guy shaking his head at all of this, thinking we're all just full of it !

No 1. The OP at least in my interpretation was only making a humorous remark, tongue in cheek, since some people are tired of the arguments on DPR. Personally I see that film obeys the same rules of equivalence as does digital, or at least most of them.

No 2. Have you shot film? I agree that the better digital cameras beat most 35mm film at most things, except possibly a certain look that film has. None of the film "look" software that I've seen or experimented with duplicates it exactly.

No 3. Have you personally shot medium format or large (8x10 or larger) film? Yes medium format digital is very high resolution, but seriously if you want to debate the cost vs quality...well. You oughtta find a friend who has shot larger format film...or buy yours self a digital back or a Leica S2 for a couple of tens of thousands. Or try a medium format film camera, they're pretty cheap. In other words put your money where your mouth is.

No 4. It seems to me that you misinterpret everything that people say, and you do seem like an intelligent person, just to argue. You are correct that forums are to state opinions, and criticize the opinions of others, the big boys/girls play here and should be able to "take it", but when you criticize personal choices rather than opinions, you come off like someone who is preaching a dogmatic view and doesn't allow for individuality. I only mean this constructively, and I'm not saying this in any destructive way. Yes you do have a right to believe that digital is better of course you do. And in many ways I agree (especially concerning economy of use, both in monetary and work for the quality produced. but others use other mediums, which do have their own strengths and weaknesses. They have that right to do so. Debate is one thing, putting people down for their choices is another.

If a moderator sees this, and pulls it. It's OK with me. It's what I think however and I've gotta say it.

-- hide signature --

My Gallery is here -
http://www.pbase.com/madlights
The Joker: Why so serious?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow