Nikon 1.8g's vs Sigma 1.4 Art Series

Started Aug 16, 2014 | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,373
Re: Your both right

StillLearning wrote:

mbecke wrote:

anotherMike wrote:

Actually, regarding the warmth of the respective lenses, the Sigma 35/1.4 is a bit warmer than the Nikon 35/1.8G. The Nikon 28/1.8G however is warmer than the 35/1.8G. And I certainly wouldn't classify Sigma or Zeiss color as cold at all - if anything, they tend to be more accurate across the entire tonal range than Nikon in many cases.

-m

anothermike, I very much appreciate your reviews. You usually do a great job. Very thorough. However, based on comparisons that I have made with the two lenses (I.e., Sigma Art 35 and the Nikon 35 1.8G fx,) my findings are a little different. They are both sharp lenses. The Nikon, however, renders better to my eyes with a bit more color and contrast. The Nikon is a bit more 3D. The Sigma is kind of flat and dull in comparison. That being said, neither lens produces magical photos like the Nikon 70-200 2.8G vrII, a 135 f2 dc (!!!), or even a Nikon 24-70 2.8G.

I am looking at alternatives to the 50mm Nikon lenses (both 1.4 and 1.8G's). Both are just ok; reasonably sharp but otherwise unremarkable. Boring one might say. (Actually, prefer the older D versions.). Hopefully, the 50 Sigma Art offers a better alternative. We'll see.

The term "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" applys also to perception of color , sharpness and other facets of a picture. We know we all see things slightly different but we all fall into larger groups of how we see them.

I perceive the color spectrum different then my wife does. In our early years we would get in a debate on what color one of my suit jackets was until we realized we saw the different colors differently. It's apparent we also see characteristics of lenses differently especially those more close to call. Except those that fall well below the others makes it easier to agree in most part. This is why you get such opposing views on lenses. Many times our eyes aren't trained to see certain things which we pick up over time. I look at photos differently than when I was a beginner. Even with that you may see warmer colors while someone else may see cooler. Some pictures appear sharper to you than someone else. I remember certain lenses I purchased based on their resolution tests but neglecting the contrast tests. The picture appeared very flat and unsharp even though they had plenty of detail. Picture examples can help where words don't really explain it as well. Sharp to you may not mean the samething to others. I see this every day when I see pictures posted on facebook that are slightly out of focus yet people rave about how good they are which could be subject matter or intense colors.

I use to see lens tests as this is the capabilty of a lens for all distances used and all samples of the same lens. anotherMike opened my eyes to the different strengths in that area. But he may still see warmth in a lens I might consider cool. When he shows an example I can then see if we see things the same way or slight different. Just my 2 cents.

Or, just buy the lens you want and tweak the colours and contrast in camera, or in Photoshop, Lightroom, Aperture or iPhoto.

Big question, how are you shooting? RAW or JPEG?

If you're shooting in RAW then it's as much down to the RAW processing as anything else. The colour shift between the (deliberately) flat camera previews and the standard RAW processing in Aperture and Lightroom is huge. If you want, add some contrast. Boost the colours. Change the colour temperature. Add lots of processing if you like!

Are you shooting in Adobe RGB or sRGB?

What is the white balance setting?

How are your monitors calibrated for colour?

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
9ck
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
xtm
9ck
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow