How hard is it to scratch a lens?

Started Sep 1, 2014 | Questions thread
msowsun
msowsun Contributing Member • Posts: 634
Re: How hard is it to scratch a lens?

kingslayer wrote:

diness wrote:

I don't want to start the endless "to filter or not to filter" debate... but I have recently been filterless with my 70-200 f4L and it always makes me nervous. I'm not worried about dropping it and breaking it necessarily, but how hard is it to scratch the lens surface? Anyone ever scratch it with the lens cap or anything? I've always been curious about this. Thanks!

I have filters on all my expensive lenses. I just got back from a week's trip with the new Canon 16-35mm f4 and it was heavily used. I was cleaning the lens and I noticed 2 very small scratches on the filter. It was probably a scratch from the lens cap mechanism. Who knows. It's a B+W filter which I paid almost $100 for. I rather have a scratch on a $100 filter vs $1500 lens.

The front element on any lens is much tougher than a filter. You many never scratch a bare front element. Even if you did, it only costs about $200 to replace the front element on that $1500 lens.

Your fragile, easily scratched $100 filter now needs to be replaced by another fragile, easily scratched $100 filter. How many filters will you go through during the lifetime of your lens?

It just doesn't seem cost effective to me.

msowsun's gear list:msowsun's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +23 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow