Nikon 1.8g's vs Sigma 1.4 Art Series

Started Aug 16, 2014 | Discussions thread
mbecke Contributing Member • Posts: 972
Re: Nikon 1.8g's vs Sigma 1.4 Art Series, the 3D-look and real photos

anotherMike wrote:

Actually, regarding the warmth of the respective lenses, the Sigma 35/1.4 is a bit warmer than the Nikon 35/1.8G. The Nikon 28/1.8G however is warmer than the 35/1.8G. And I certainly wouldn't classify Sigma or Zeiss color as cold at all - if anything, they tend to be more accurate across the entire tonal range than Nikon in many cases.

-m

anothermike,   I very much appreciate your reviews.    You usually do a great job.   Very thorough.    However, based on comparisons that I have made with the two lenses (I.e., Sigma Art 35 and the Nikon 35 1.8G fx,) my findings are a little different.   They are both sharp lenses.    The Nikon, however, renders better  to my eyes with a bit more color and contrast.    The Nikon is a bit more 3D.  The Sigma is kind of flat and dull in comparison.  That being said, neither lens produces magical photos like the Nikon 70-200 2.8G vrII, a 135 f2 dc (!!!), or even a Nikon 24-70 2.8G.

I am looking at alternatives to the 50mm Nikon lenses (both 1.4 and 1.8G's).    Both are just ok; reasonably sharp but otherwise unremarkable.   Boring one might say.    (Actually, prefer the older D versions.).    Hopefully, the 50 Sigma Art offers a better alternative.   We'll see.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
9ck
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
xtm
9ck
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow