Budget macro recommendation

Started Aug 31, 2014 | Discussions thread
Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 14,798
Re: Budget macro recommendation

Ronan_M wrote:

I'm after a budget (read under 200$) macro lens for my Nikon. I am not sure if I will use it a lot or not at all, so would like to make a minimal investment and then see if I like the macro world.

I'm after recommendations for a reasonably good macro lens. I'm happy with second hand and with manual focusing and manual aperture. I've seen the old AI 105 F4 lens going for ~180$ so that fits the bill. My questions:

- Are "old" AI lenses good to get started? (I understand I'll have to do everything manually)

- What focal lenghts are most useful for macro? Isnt 105 kinda long?

What camera do you have? Nikon has made several different models.

The higher-end Nikon DSLR's will meter with AI lenses. Lower-end models will not, although the lenses will attach and you can take pictures with them. I use a 55m f/2.8 AI Micro Nikkor on my D300 and it works perfectly.

Either the 55mm or 105mm AI lenses will do a good job for you. They're more than reasonably good.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow