Started Aug 30, 2014 | Discussions thread
salla30
salla30 Senior Member • Posts: 2,596
Re: Is digital photography too easy?

Joris1632 wrote:

I recently came across this Ansel Adams quote; -

Any thoughts?

Very interesting quote.

The creative process involved in GOOD photography is not akin to painting. You need to be in "the zone" to do it. Focused, (no pun intended), in tune with your craft. I have been an avid artist, watercolorist and oil painter in the past.

The creative process involved with artistic photography now is split into two part; the actual taking of the photograph and the post processing to achieve the "polished" result.

For both phases, to produce a good result, one needs to be in the right frame of mind, and the final result may be rubbish anyway, like with painting, lol.

The interesting thing about the quote is that he is inferring that the masses possibly do not rise above the mediocrity of "snapping", and explore artistic areas of creativity with photography simply because of its simplicity. And with this I agree. I think the 100's of paintings I produced even if many years ago, have helped me move further into a searching mentality of creativity, exciting me to try new ideas and compositions and techniques.

Now we are in the Iphone camera generation, I fear this will not improve soon.

Very intersting!

salla30's gear list:salla30's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a5000 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hdr
tex
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow