What is the maximum weight that a6000 mount can handle without support?

Started Aug 29, 2014 | Discussions thread
Bruce Oudekerk
Bruce Oudekerk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,511
a6000 flex

SwissSwiss wrote:

So I just got delivery of Metabones Nikon F to E mount adapter. Put my Nikon 60mm Macro lens on my A6000 and I am absolutely loving it. It is so much fun!

My only problem is that I am scared to let the lens hang on it's own, I am always resting it on my palm. The lens is around 440gms, the total weight along with the adapter is 600gms.

Can the A6000 mount handle that weight if I hold the camera from the hand grip only?

Quite frankly its scary.

I was doing testing with a borrowed a6000 and was adapting some of my non e-mount lenses to it. I tried some old Canon FD lenses. At only 440 grams with my FD 200mm f4.0. There was significant camera flex when using my tripod and ball head. To put that in perspective, with ANY of my lens on my a850 on this tripod/ballhead combo there is almost no total system flex/distortion. The old Mamiya tripod could be used to pull engines and the big Sirui ballhead is very stiff. When I was trying my a-mount Samyang 14mm on the a6000, I also thought it would be a good idea to try my 800g. Sony 70-300 G. Bad idea. Nothing broke but I had a hard time selecting the desired portion of the target because the a6000 body was flexing so much from 20 feet away. Obviously the solution is to use the Sony LEA4 adapter with a tripod mount and hang the lens and the camera off that. If I were using even a modest sized lens on the a6000, I'd be holding the lens and steadying the camera... not the other way around,

The problem is, I don't know where in the a6000 body that it was flexing. I suspect mostly around the tripod mount but that's still disquieting to me.

Bruce

Bruce Oudekerk's gear list:Bruce Oudekerk's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow