Aftermarket batteries are just as good as OEM

Started Aug 18, 2014 | Discussions thread
Chris Noble
Chris Noble Senior Member • Posts: 2,272
Nothing to do with initial performance

Lanidrac wrote:

Thats what I've found. Often vastly cheaper and as good or better performing too. What say you?

That is not where the difference lies. The difference is in reliability and longevity (number of recharge cycles) and the mechanical integrity of the case, cells and protection electronics. All of these differences have a significant impact on the manufacturing cost.

The failure rate of the copies is higher, but not 100%, so we have all hear stories of copies that worked fine for 100 cycles or so.

You get the level of longevity and reliability that you pay for. Lithium is a volatile and corrosive metal. I am familiar with how lithium cells and packs are made and where corners can be cut without immediate but with age-related and cycle-life impact. In my opinion, skimping on battery quality for a $1000 camera that gets bumped, turned on/off repeatedly and occasionally gets wet is foolish. Your results may vary.

Chris Noble's gear list:Chris Noble's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow