Any Advantage to Full Frame?

Started Aug 26, 2014 | Questions thread
HSway
HSway Veteran Member • Posts: 3,161
Re: Final Spatial Resolution: Facts get in the way of opinions

Jack Hogan wrote:

Part of using information from the net is understanding whether the data is useful for the application at hand based on the quality and reliability of the source.

The site you refer to is known not to be a good resource when comparing spatial resolution performance apples to apples. They admit to not having the time to focus cameras properly nor do they set them up Equivalently.

Lenstip.com and DxO are more scientific in their approach, try harder and give more reliable results. Lenstip's results are reproducible and easy to understand. Find me a decently priced lens whose MTF50 exceeds 66 lp/mm on a DX body at f/4 at lenstip.com and I'll go out and buy it.

But trust me, it does not exist for the reasons I mentioned above. Even with the FF bar set so low: the 50mm:1.8D is a $120 lens .

Jack

Assuming that the pictures discussed are otherwise fully comparable (no disrespect for IR meant) the pair of the samples for Fx vs Dx is best taken from the centre to avoid problems related to focus plane/curvature changes and using different part of the lens (effectively resolution field mapping). I believe the differences shown under current settings (f8, Sigma 70/2.8 macro) in this particular regard are quite minimal, though.

Leaving the possible or real differences among the sites in this regard aside, doing a comparison where the sensor resolution is an objective (rather than the camera’s one) one has to compare equal values by removing variances to get the idea of the difference. In this case we need to be compensating for the AA filter effect by touch of advanced sharpening (modern deconvolution versions of RL algorithm preferable to masking). And obviously best or simpler is comparing the sensors without AA filter.

On a side note, the differences in quality or nature of the detail compared between AA filter/deconvolution vs bare sensor, however marginal, is another topic.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow