Any Advantage to Full Frame?

Started Aug 26, 2014 | Questions thread
thejohnnerparty Contributing Member • Posts: 829
Re: Any Advantage to Full Frame?

Excuse me for my lack of knowledge here, but I just don't understand focal length. If we take a 50 mm lens and use it on a FF camera, we get a specific field of view - 47 degrees. On a DX camera the same lens has a 31 degree field of view. The equivalent of a 75mm lens FOV. ..... What does magnification mean? The focal length hasn't changed. What has changed is the field of view. If we take say a D7100 with a 24MP sensor, we have less of a FOV captured on the smaller sensor (16x24) with a higher density of pixels, which, I guess, is capturing more resolution because of the smaller FOV onto 24MP, but the focal length is the same. So is magnification the fact that a smaller FOV is captured on the same number of pixels (whereas in the case of a FF camera with 24MP there is a larger FOV on the same number of pixels and thus a lower pixel density over the FOV)? .... Because when I'm looking through a telescope the longer the focal length the bigger the image. Thus magnification. ... So in the case of cameras, reach is a combination of sensor size and optics or am I missing something like focal plane distance to the lens on different camera bodies?

thejohnnerparty's gear list:thejohnnerparty's gear list
Sony RX100
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow