Any Advantage to Full Frame?

Started Aug 26, 2014 | Questions thread
Tripodasaurus Junior Member • Posts: 28
Re: Any Advantage to Full Frame?

IMO full frame cameras tend to offer lenses of 24mm and wider as prime lenses. Prime lenses can be lighter than zoom lenses. Prime lenses often offer wider apertures, gathering more light, so especially usefull in the wide variety of low light photography situations and can generate more pleasing out of focus areas, bokeh. Non full frame cameras usually offer zooms at these wide focal lengths which are generally heavier and bulkier than a prime lens but you might need less of them!

Non full frame camera lenses offer a magnifying advantage i.e. a 100mm lens on a non full frame camera may give you the equivilent magnification of a 150mm lens etc So there are benefits to both camera types. Your choice may depend on whether you predominately take wide angle shots, low light shots, portraits or telephoto shots.

Personally I go against the modern trend of wanting a smaller camera. I love a big camera with big buttons and a large LCD screen as I have big hands and ageing eyes. I take mostly wide angle photos so on both counts it's a full frame with the best, brightest wide angle lens I can afford. The disadvantage is that bigger usually means heavier which is fine indoors or in a studio etc but not so good for lugging around on hikes or on holiday etc. A good smart phone with charger is a good option here.

I hope that is a bit helpful in adding to the mix of replies from the other responders.

Tripodasaurus's gear list:Tripodasaurus's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow